Sunday, June 02, 2019

National Cancer Survivor Day


Today, June 2, is National Cancer Survivor Day.  It’s a day to recognize those that have been diagnosed with and survived cancer of any type.  It’s a day for those who have cancer to feel hope that surviving is possible.  It’s a day for those who have not been touched by cancer to take action to prevent it.  It’s truly a day for all.

Skin cancer…even deadly melanoma…is often thought of as the cancer that can “simply be cut out.”  The vast majority of skin cancer found is basal cell carcinoma which is rarely deadly. For the most part, such a cancer is truly “simply cut out” with minimal physical scarring as the end result.  The same is true for squamous cell carcinoma which is statistically more deadly, but still usually far less invasive than melanoma, which accounts for 75% of all skin cancer deaths.  As for melanoma, those who are diagnosed with Stage 0 or Stage 1 level cancer typically also have their cancer “simply cut out.”  Are those who have skin cancers “simply cut out” with no additional treatments considered survivors? 

My brother was diagnosed with melanoma in 2004.  He had a very large, ugly, and cancerous mole removed from his back and was left with clear margins…no evidence of remaining cancer.  He was also left with a golf ball-sized divot on his back but otherwise seemed unscarred.  Was he a survivor?  Jeff was reluctant to make that claim.  Although he often volunteered for Relay for Life, he never visited the survivors’ tent nor wore a special survivor t-shirt.  He would look at other survivors, those who had bald heads or were forced to walk with a cane and proclaim, “Those are the survivors.  Not me!”

Jeff was adamant about his friends and family wearing sunscreen.  He would often state, “You don’t want to go what I went through!”  He also lived with the knowledge that one out of every three melanoma survivors has a recurrence of the disease.  Whenever he would spot a new mole, or even a freckle, he would have it checked out immediately.  He became very diligent about his skin.
I would ascertain that while Jeff didn’t show any obvious physical scars (except for his rarely exposed back) he had many deep mental and emotional scars.  His whole outlook on his skin changed.  His insistence that his little brother get his skin checked yearly showed that he was affected by his experience.  His involvement in Relay for Life was a way for him to express his understanding of the cancer world.  He was indeed a survivor.

About a year after Jeff when through his melanoma experience, a lump was felt on my prostate during a routine exam.  I was sent to an urologist who also felt the lump and determined that a biopsy was needed.  The results of that painful experience were inconclusive and another biopsy was ordered.  The second experience was worse…but at least it showed no signs of cancer.  Yes, the word cancer was spoken to me.  And fear shot through me as soon as that word was spoken.  My mortality was suddenly challenged.  So many thoughts came to mind as to what I might miss far sooner in life than expected.  When I was told that no cancer was found, the relief I felt was indescribable.  I had a new lease on life.  My friends, this was only from my doctor mentioning the possibility of cancer.  I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be told that indeed there IS cancer.

With that in mind, I completely support and agree that anyone that has been diagnosed with cancer…even the simple “cut it out” cancers…is a survivor.  Being told that you have cancer is a life changing event.  If a simple in-office surgery can eliminate it, than you are truly lucky and blessed.  But knowing you had cancer in or on your body makes you feel vulnerable and violated.  And you know it can happen again.  You have survived it…hopefully for good..

My brother survived his first round, but he didn’t survive 6 years later.  He died of melanoma on November 15, 2010.  My mother died of lung cancer 5 years earlier on January 20, 2005.  This past December, on December 20th, 2018, my dad also died of lung cancer.  My three family members all died of cancer.  I’m the last surviving member.  I hope to God that I won’t have to be called a “survivor” in my life.

 Cancer sucks.  Honor a survivor today. And remember those who have passed.

No comments: